With laparoscopy, all major surgeries that require huge incisions can be operated alternatively with small incisions. This, of course, affects patient recuperation and his return to normal life activity and work. Additionally, small scars that don't exceed 1 cm in length are cosmetically better-looking than those large incisions of open surgery.
The following are surgeries that can be done with laparoscopy:
- Radical nephrectomy for kidney tumors.
- Partial nepherectomy for small kidney tumors.
- Radical cystectomy for bladder tumors.
- Radical prostatectomy for prostate tumors.
- Augmentation cystoplasty to enlarge small bladders.
- Ureteric strictures.